Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The CF Dictionary

After mentioning a few things in my last post, I realized some people may not understand what I mean when I say "physio" or "PFT's". So, for whoever is going to be reading this, I thought it may be helpful to have a list of acronyms and words that I might be using in the blog entries to come. In no way am I assuming everyone use these, they’re just simply what I use. So, here you go:
Physio: When I say physio I always mean lung physiotherapy which is done twice/day using different techniques to hopefully cough up mucous that sits in my lungs and masters the art of causing major infections. Boo mucous!
PFT’s: Pulmonary Function Test. A breathing test that my Doctors and I use to determine how my lungs are doing. High 90’s is awesome for me… anything below 70 is plain and simply, not good. I won't talk too much about my numbers unless I feel it's needed. For anyone reading this who has CF or is related to someone with CF, I think it's important not to compare one person's PFT numbers with another because we are all very different in our lung function abilities.
Enzymes: Medications that allow me to digest my food.
Tobi: Inhaled antibiotic done every other month which normally takes anywhere between 35 to 45 minutes but with this new Eflow apparatus, it only takes me 4-6 minutes! Hurray! Tobi is also known to my close friends as the drug that always goes in the bar fridge first when traveling.
Pulmozyme: Another inhaled medication
Neb: Stands for Nebule or Nebulizer which is used to deliver my inhaled medications.
Eflow: I use this most amazing new piece of equipment for Tobi which has saved me a total of 1.5 hours/day! Got it from the UK and am LOVING it!
A1C: Average blood sugar over the last 3 months.
BG: Blood Glucose
Thumping: Another way of doing physiotherapy for my lungs. Actual name: Postural Drainage Physiotherapy. My parents used this technique when I was first diagnosed up until I was about 12 or 13. They did thumping anywhere and everywhere including campground picnic tables, ferry terminals, public parks etc. They NEVER skipped a thumping session.
Vibes: Something only my parents and physiotherapists have mastered. Vibes are when you use your hands to put pressure on certain areas of the rib cage while vibrating the hands… this helps loosen up built up mucous. Can’t explain it much better.
PEP: Positive Expiratory Pressure apparatus. My main physio method. Breathing through it allows that pain in the ass mucous to come out instead of staying in my lungs which leads to lung infections.
Shaker Vest: An oscillation vest that I put on that is supposed to shake the mucous out of me. I think it’s worth about $20, 000.00 and currently I’m part of a study to see if the Vest is a better physio method vs the PEP or Postural Drainage or any of the other methods out there. It’s a year long study that I started in January and so far, I don’t think it’s worth it. Although I’ve heard it works great for others.
BW: Blood Work
IV: Intravenous
Tune up: A time when my body needs a little more than extra physio or oral antibiotics. It’s when IV antibiotics are needed to get rid of a building lung infection. It can either be done at home (Home IV) or in the hospital. Not really a fun time.
Exacerbation: When a tune up is needed.
PICC line: Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. A line that is inserted into one of the big veins in my arm usually just above my elbow and runs up to the top of my heart. It’s used instead of a regular IV (typically inserted in the hand) because the antibiotics used to treat the vicious infections we CF’ers get are like battery acid going into our veins. They’re too harsh for the little veins in our hands. 
Abx: Antibiotics
ENT: Ears Nose and Throat Doctor who I see every week to rinse out my sinuses with a nasty smelling special antibiotic to help prevent infection and polyps from developing.
I think that's it for now although I may add to the list in the future.

That's all for tonight... time for Tobi ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment