Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Generosity and Beyond


There are few words that can truly express how I feel about a group of people that live in a small town on Vancouver Island called Campbell River.  My eyes fill with tears as I think of the generosity that comes from this group of people. It started with 8 individuals, 28 years ago that shared a common goal that came from somewhere deep in their hearts that few people in the world have. On May 16th, 1983, one month after I was diagnosed with CF, these individuals came together for their very first meeting. I recently read the minutes that were typed up on an old typewriter from that meeting and based on the last paragraph, you can tell that their goal was clear right from the start.

It reads: " The Black family would like to thank everyone for their terrific support in forming this branch.  We feel any contribution towards the foundation (CCFF) means more research and increase the chances of finding a cure for Kimmy's disease.  It is our most sincere and deepest hope that a cure will soon be found so she can live as full a life as the rest of us".
The quote refers to the Black family and Kimmy (yes they used to call me Kimmy) but the words and thoughts represent all families that have had CF enter their lives.  

A couple weekend ago we celebrated that group of people along with people that joined that group throughout the years that would soon become the Campbell River CF Chapter, which has raised almost two and a half million dollars over the past 25 years. It was an exciting night filled with great speeches that provided information, gratitude and hope. My sister gave one of those speeches and I must say she did an amazing job. My Dad emceed the event and I also must say that he too did an amazing job. I love you both.

Dr. Chilvers who is one of the CF Doctors at BC Children’s Hospital also gave a speech about CF care and research. I learned some pretty exciting things about new treatments and medications that I hope to take advantage of in the next couple years. Hearing about these exciting new therapies made me realize how much the Campbell River CF Chapter has done for me. Without the funds that they’ve raised over the years, I’m sure I wouldn’t be taking certain medications today or doing certain therapies that were discovered because they had the funds available. And that is why my eyes fill with tears when I think about this group of people and what they have done for me personally. Not only do they continue to raise money for CF, they are there to support me whenever I need it. When I was stuck in the hospital a couple years ago, there wasn’t a room filled with more flowers than mine. All from that group of people that I love and adore.  I’ve always considered myself a lucky girl but it’s the support I get from this group of people in Campbell River that makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the whole world.  They have allowed me to achieve the goals that I’ve set for myself. They’ve allowed me to experience the world. They’ve allowed me to breathe.
I like to call this group of people, my angels. Not many people can say they have a group of angels behind them, but lucky for me, I can. Thanks for the last 28 years everyone. And here’s to the next 28.

1 comment: